Next available date
Other available dates
About this course
This two-morning course provides an overview of the benefits system and examines how the system fits together.
The course covers:
- How the benefits system is structured and the differences between contributory, non-contributory and means tested benefits
- Who can claim each of the benefits which make up the system
- How to help people claim a work-related benefit when they cannot work due to a health condition or a disability
- How to help people of all ages claim a disability benefit when their everyday lives are affected by a health condition or a disability
- An overview of universal credit including the impact of claiming or being migrated onto universal credit for people already in receipt of certain benefits
- How to complete a basic benefits check to ensure people are claiming their likely entitlements.
This training course is aimed at those who are new to benefit advice work and those for whom benefit advice forms part of their role, such as debt advisers.
Methods of delivery and timings
This full-day equivalent, introductory-level course, is delivered online via Zoom over two consecutive mornings. It runs from 10am to 1pm on each day, with a half hour break between 11.15-11.45.
It is a practical course delivered using a combination of trainer presentation, exercises and group discussion. Participants will need a Wi-Fi connection and a suitable device to access the internet. It is not recommended to join via a mobile phone.