School age payment | CPAG
24 May 2021
On this page
Who can get a school age payment

To get a best start grant school age payment, you must:

Responsible for a child whose date of birth is between 1 March 2016 and 28 February 2017

To get a school age payment for a child you or your partner must be responsible for the child. This will usually mean that you are getting child benefit, universal credit or child benefit for the child, but can also apply in other situations where you are caring for the child, for example if you are a kinship carer, guardian or you are adopting the child .

Usually only one school age payment can be made for a child but this does not apply if you have become responsible for the child after someone else (who is not your partner) has received a payment. For example, you are caring for a child as a kinship carer and the child’s parent has previously received a school-age payment

Getting a ‘qualifying benefit’

If you are 18 or over you'll get a school age payment if you or your partner get any of the following benefits:

  • universal credit
  • income support
  • income-based jobseeker’s allowance
  • income-related employment and support allowance
  • pension credit
  • housing benefit
  • child tax credit
  • working tax credit

You can be entitled if you were getting universal credit within the last month but it has now stopped.

Read more about the qualifying benefit rules and what happens if your benefit has been cut.

If you are aged under 18 you can get a school age payment even if you are not on a qualifying benefit and no matter what income you have.

If you are aged 18 or 19 and someone else still gets benefits for looking after you, you can get a school age payment if the person who cares for you gets:

  • child benefit
  • child tax credit
  • universal credit
  • pension credit

You must still be included in their claim, for example as you are under 19 and still at school.

Claim at the right time

You can claim any time from 1 June 2021 up to 28 February 2022.

How much is a school age payment

The school age payment is £252.50.

Claiming a school age payment

To claim you can:

If you disagree with the decision made by Social Security Scotland about your best start grant claim you can challenge this decision.

Read about the legislation on best start grants.