Best start foods | CPAG
02 August 2021
On this page
Who can get Best Start foods

From 12 August 2019, a Best Start foods pre-paid payment card replaced the Healthy Start voucher scheme in Scotland. Eligibility can begin from the start of pregnancy and continue until the child’s 3rd birthday. If you were entitled to Healthy Start vouchers for a child aged 2 or 3 within the last 12 weeks and you claim Best Start foods before 31 March 2020, you can continue to qualify until the child’s 4th birthday.

You qualify if you are pregnant, or responsible for a child under 3 and you or your partner get:

  • UC and earn no more than £625 a month in either of the last two complete monthly assessment periods
  • CTC (not WTC) with annual income of £16,480 or less
  • CTC and WTC with an annual income of £7,500 or less
  • housing benefit with weekly income of £317 or less
  • income support, income-based jobseeker's allowance, income-related employment and support allowance or pension credit.

You qualify if you are under 18 and pregnant, regardless of benefits. You must meet residence conditions as for the Best Start Grant. You continue to qualify until the end of your pregnancy if you turn 18 during pregnancy, or until your child's first birthday if you turn 18 while responsible for the baby. You can also qualify if you are aged 18/19 and a dependant in someone else's benefit claim. You are a dependant if the person who cares for you gets:

  • child benefit
  • child tax credit
  • universal credit
  • pension credit

You must still be included in their claim, for example as you are under 19 and still at school.

How much do you get

The Best Start foods payment card is credited with £4.50 a week, or £9.00 for a child under 1. The card can be used to pay for milk, fresh, frozen or tinned fruit and vegetables, pulses and eggs.

Claiming best start foods

To claim you can:

If you qualify for Best Start foods, you will also be eligible for a Best Start grant.

Even if you don't qualify for Best Start foods, you may still be able to get a Best Start grant.

Healthy Start vitamins

If you are entitled to Best Start foods, you can also receive free Healthy Start vitamins which are distributed by regional health boards in Scotland - ask your health visitor, midwife or GP.