Care-experienced young people and benefits: giving good advice

22 October 2021

Produced in conjunction with the STAF, this factsheet explains the special benefit rules affecting some young care leavers and young people in 'continuing care'.

Many 16 and 17-year-olds who have been ‘looked after away from home’ by the local authority cannot get income support, income-based jobseeker’s allowance, housing benefit or universal credit. Instead, the local authority which last looked after them is responsible for providing financial support. Local authorities often refer to this help as after-care, after-care services, or leaving care services.