National insurance numbers | CPAG

National insurance numbers

Refusal to acknowledge an appointee who does not have a NINo

JR84 appointee does not have a NINo (last updated Aug 2020) (Update pending)

Refusal to pay benefit while a claimant is waiting for a NINo to be issued

CPAG are monitoring NINo requirements. Please let us know how the DWP respond to these letters: [email protected]

JR4 UC one partner of a couple not EEA/refugee (last updated May 2019)

JR13 UC one partner of a couple refugee (last updated October 2019)

JR5 UC EEA national with Right to Reside (last updated May 2019)

JR7 UC refugee (last updated October 2019)

The DWP have advised that claimants should NOT apply for a NINo before they apply for UC (if they do not have one already), they should use the DWP internal process when making their UC claim to ensure their NINo arrives before their 1st UC payment is due. Your client should ask at the Jobcentre and the Jobcentre should complete form: eDCI1

CPAG have however received reports that Jobcentres are unaware of the internal process above. It may help to draw their attention to the following: Spotlight on: What to do if the claimant doesn’t have a NINO 


For refugees DWP have also published which includes:

National Insurance Number (NINO)

You do not need a NINO for your benefits claim to be made but if you do not have a NINO you need to tell DWP at the start of your claim.

DWP will apply for a NINO on your behalf as part of your claim for benefits. You do not need to apply for a NINO yourself.


Your asylum support payments will end after 4 weeks. If you need help to pay your bills or cover other costs while you wait for your first benefit payment, you can apply to get an advance.

The most you can get as an advance is the amount of your first estimated payment and you’ll need to pay the advance back from future benefit payments.


If your client asks for a UC advance, and it is not considered, please let CPAG know by emailing [email protected]



By emailing [email protected]

This helps us keep the letters up to date and effective for other advisers.