Universal credit is now available for new claims everywhere in Great Britain, meaning many more people are affected every day. Almost all claimant groups of working age can claim, including disabled people, families and people in work. Most people need to claim and maintain their claims online.
This course looks at where we are now with universal credit. Participants will gain an understanding of who can claim, and how to identify when a UC claim may not be needed. They will be able to support claimants in understanding a UC award, including the effects of changes of circumstances such as going into work, as well as when to challenge decisions. Participants will also gain an overview of the UC calculation and how to maximise entitlement.
The course covers:
• Who can currently claim UC
• What triggers a potential need to claim UC (natural migration)
• When claimants who do not otherwise need to claim UC may be asked to claim (managed migration)
• Who is entitled to UC and common reasons for refusal
• Transitional issues when moving from other benefits
• Maintaining a claim
• Calculation issues
• An introduction to conditionality and sanctions