This half-day online training course explains how the universal credit (UC) ‘Complex Needs’ rules work, who is covered and what this should mean for UC claimants. It also covers how you can ensure the DWP recognises ‘Complex Needs’ status.
The course covers:
• The challenges that UC presents to claimants
• Evidence of how claimant vulnerability can affect a UC claim or award
• Implications of ‘Complex Needs’ for the UC claimant commitment
• What does ‘Complex Needs’ mean from the point of view of the DWP?
• Who is most likely to attain ‘Complex Needs’ status within the UC model?
• What this status should then mean for claimants, the claimant commitment and other matters
• How can we help the DWP to accept that a claimant has Complex Needs?
• Requesting ‘Complex Needs’ status
• Moving forward, how we can help the DWP to remember this status
Methods of delivery and timings
This half-day Experienced level course runs from 10.00 to 13.00, with a 30 minute break at 11.15. It is delivered live online, via Zoom, with CPAG trainer Steve Johnson.
It is a practical course delivered using a combination of trainer presentation, exercises and group discussion. Participants will be provided with supporting e-learning material, including PowerPoint slides and access to exercises and activities hosted on CPAG’s e-learning platform.
What you will need
Participants will need a Wi-Fi connection and a suitable device to access the internet. Prior to the event, participants will receive an email with a link which they should use to join the event and access supporting materials.