Universal Credit (UC) claimants often have difficulties getting their Housing Costs element included in their claim and having the right amount paid on time.
This one-day course focuses on the practical aspects of help towards rent in UC. It will include an overview of the claim and verification process, common problems preventing payment of Housing Costs element and how to check payment amounts and dates. The course also covers how and when to apply for Alternative Payment Arrangements and direct deductions for rent arrears, and relevant regulations for challenging administrative errors.
The course covers:
• Claiming Housing Costs element correctly
• Rent verification process
• Checking entitlement amount
• Local housing allowance rules and the bedroom tax
• Dates of payment
• Reasons for rent shortfall