Benefit may be overpaid for many reasons and recovery often leaves people in hardship. Using practical examples, this course equips you to deal with overpayments by taking a systematic approach to checking and challenging recoverability, with a particular emphasis on the importance of establishing the significance of claimant or official error for each of the different benefits administered by DWP, local authorities and HMRC.
The course covers:
• An overview of the necessary decision-making process before an overpayment decision can be made
• The tests of misrepresentation and failure to disclose central to overpayments of DWP benefit
• Housing benefit overpayments, the role of official error and recovery from landlords
• Tax credit overpayments and HMRC’s discretion to recover
• Universal credit overpayments
• Scottish social security overpayments
• Overpayment appeals
• Methods of recovery
This ‘one-day equivalent’ standard level course will be delivered online via Zoom from 10am to 1pm each day with a half hour break from 11.15 – 11.45.
It is a practical course, delivered using a combination of trainer presentation, exercises and group discussion. Participants will need a Wi-Fi connection and a suitable device to access the internet. It is not recommended to join via a mobile phone.
Participants will receive an email a few days before the start of the course, with a link to the event hosted on our AskCPAG elearning platform.