Benefit may be overpaid for many reasons and recovery often leaves people in hardship. Using practical examples, this course equips you to deal with overpayments by taking a systematic approach to checking and challenging recoverability.
The course covers:
• An overview of the necessary decision-making process before an overpayment decision can be made
• The tests of misrepresentation and failure to disclose central to overpayments of DWP benefit
• Housing benefit overpayments and the role of official error
• Tax credit overpayments and HMRC’s discretion to recover
• Universal credit overpayments
• Reducing the level of overpayments
• Overpayment appeals
• Methods of recovery
“ Delivered in a way that was really interesting and informative. Made it easy to maintain engagement. Excellent!
“ Lots of useful materials, handouts, caselaw and suggestions. Feel well-equipped to tackle all overpayments"