This course provides a practical and tactical look at working with people with mental health diagnoses to help secure full entitlement to benefits. It looks at how to meet the disability and medical tests for benefit and avoid some of the pitfalls of the system.
The course covers:
• Common diagnoses, symptoms, medication and side effects
• Barriers to people getting the right entitlement
• Personal independence payment in a mental health context
• Medical tests for universal credit and employment and support allowance
• Tactics for dealing with other benefit issues
A basic knowledge of the benefits system is assumed.
This ‘one-day equivalent’ standard level course will be delivered online via Zoom from 10am to 1pm each day with a half hour break from 11.15 – 11.45.
It is a practical course, delivered using a combination of trainer presentation, exercises and group discussion. Participants will need a Wi-Fi connection and a suitable device to access the internet. It is not recommended to join via a mobile phone.