This half-day online training course introduces advisers to how the UC calculation works. It looks at how the monthly UC ‘maximum amount’ compares to monthly income, and how the UC ‘benefit cap’ can set a limit on the total amount paid.
The maximum amount of UC includes…
• Does the UC capital test allow an award?
• The standard allowance
• Child element and disabled child element
• Childcare element
• Sickness related element
• Carer element
• Housing costs
• Transitional addition (if Managed Migration)
How UC income is calculated…
• Calculating tariff income from capital
• Calculating unearned income
• Calculating employee earned income
• Calculating self-employment income
• Work allowance impacts
• Sample calculations
• Impact of infrequency of income payments
• Surplus earnings rules
How the UC benefit cap may reduce awards
• Who is capped and who is exempt
Methods of delivery and timings
This half-day basic level course runs from 10.00 to 13.00, with a 30 minute break at 11.15. It is delivered live online, via Zoom, with CPAG trainer Steve Johnson.
It is a practical course delivered using a combination of trainer presentation, exercises and group discussion. Participants will be provided with a link to slides and exercises, hosted on CPAG’s e-learning platform, a week prior to the course. Participants are encouraged to work through those exercises, to maximise the benefit of the live sessions.
What you will need
Participants will need a Wi-Fi connection and a suitable device to access the internet. Prior to the event, participants will receive an email with a link which they should use to join the event and access supporting materials.