Working with people who have been left destitute due to a problem with their benefits can be challenging for advisers. This course focuses on the most common causes of this hardship, including relating to universal credit. It concentrates on practical steps advisers can take to identify the problem, get benefits into payment promptly, maximise entitlement and access other sources of support.
The course covers:
• Moving from legacy benefits onto universal credit – problems and solutions
• Options for clients who have failed the work capability assessment for universal credit or employment and support allowance
• Dealing with benefit suspensions and payment delays
• Challenging sanctions and getting hardship payments
• Advances of universal credit and other benefits
• The Scottish welfare fund and other sources of help
The course is suitable for advisers with a working knowledge of benefits who want to update and consolidate skills and information.
‘VERY PRACTICAL ADVICE THAT CAN BE USED REGULARLY’