This course is essential for anyone who wants to challenge decisions of the First-tier Tribunal (Social Entitlement Chamber) effectively. The main aim of the course is to give you an understanding of what is an error of law, and practice in finding errors of law in the First-tier Tribunal statement of reasons.
The course covers:
• Exploring other ways of changing First-tier Tribunal decisions
• Finding errors of law in the statement of reasons
• Format of an application of appeal to the Upper Tribunal
• Procedures from First-tier to Upper Tribunal
• Preparing submissions to the Upper Tribunal
• Hearings before the Upper Tribunal
Some experience of representing at the First-tier Tribunal is essential. Participants should be confident with finding their way around social security law. If not, see Using Legislation and Caselaw.
“ All of the course was useful. I now have the knowledge and confidence to use this in my work."
“Excellent course. Very interesting and comprehensive coverage of the subject and extremely useful case studies."
“The tutor was very knowledgeable and explained things well. The information pack was excellent too – feel more confident in putting this into practice now!"