This course is essential for anyone who wants to challenge decisions of the First-tier Tribunal (Social Entitlement Chamber) effectively. The main aim of the course is to give you an understanding of what is an error of law, and practice in finding errors of law in the First-tier Tribunal statement of reasons.
The course covers:
• Exploring other ways of changing First-tier Tribunal decisions
• Finding errors of law in the statement of reasons
• Format of an application of appeal to the Upper Tribunal
• Procedures from First-tier to Upper Tribunal
• Preparing submissions to the Upper Tribunal
• Hearings before the Upper Tribunal
Methods of delivery
This one-day experienced level course runs from 10.00 to 13.00 across two consecutive mornings, with a 30 minute break at 11.15. It is delivered live online, via Zoom, with CPAG trainer Martin Williams.
It is a practical course delivered using a combination of trainer presentation, exercises and group discussion. Participants will be provided with supporting e-learning material, including PowerPoint slides and access to exercises and activities hosted on CPAG’s e-learning platform.
What you will need
Participants will need a Wi-Fi connection and a suitable device to access the internet. Prior to the event, participants will receive an email with a link which they should use to join the event and access supporting materials.