Designed for those new to benefits advice work, this two-morning online course provides an essential introduction to the benefits system.
Through CPAG’s collaboration with Disability Rights UK, this course is ideal for advisers looking to fully support clients who claim disability benefits. Participants will also gain an understanding of welfare benefits more generally, and how to help people maximise their income through benefits.
The course covers:
- The structure of the benefits system and the difference between contributory, non-contributory and means-tested benefits
- Who is eligible to claim each of the benefits
- Getting work-related benefits for people who are unable to work due to a health condition or disability
- Disability benefits for people with disabilities or health conditions that affect their everyday lives
- The impact of claiming or being migrated onto universal credit for people already in receipt of certain benefits
- The best way to ensure people are claiming the benefits they are entitled to
As a participant on this course, you will have exclusive access to discounts and resources tailored specifically by CPAG and Disability Rights UK, including:
- A free 1-month trial of AskCPAG with regularly updated online books, time-saving tools and templates, and the latest articles to keep your advice current and accurate
- 10% discount on the Disability Rights Handbook (print and online)
- Access to a range of advice services, such as CPAG’s advice line, Upper Tribunal assistance project, Judicial Review project and CPAG’s unique service for advisers supporting people on Universal Credit in Greater London.
Method of delivery and timings
This full-day introductory level course will be delivered online via Zoom over two consecutive mornings. It runs from 10am to 1pm on each day, with a half hour break between 11.15-11.45.
It is a practical course delivered using a combination of trainer presentation, exercises and group discussion. Participants will need a Wi-Fi connection and a suitable device to access the internet. It is not recommended to join via a mobile phone. Participants will receive an email a few days before the start of the course, with a link to the event hosted on our AskCPAG elearning platform.
We don’t have any dates booked in for this course right now. You can register your interest in future dates by emailing [email protected].