Challenging a council tax reduction decision

27 April 2023

If you are unhappy with a council tax reduction decision, you can ask for the decision to be looked at again. This is called a ‘review’. You must ask for a review by writing to the local authority. Your review request must be received within two months of the date of the decision you are unhappy with. This time limit cannot be extended.

The local authority has to deal with your review request within two months.

If you are still unhappy with the decision after this, or if the local authority has not made a decision on your request within this time, you can appeal to the First-tier Tribunal (Local Taxation Chamber). The time limit to appeal is either 42 days from the date the local authority responded to your review request or if they failed to respond, 42 days after the two month deadline to respond ran out. If your appeal is late the time limit can be extended, but you should try to meet it if possible.

The tribunal is independent of the local authority and will look again at your claim. It is normally a good idea to ask for a hearing of your appeal.

Read more about the First-tier Tribunal and find an appeal form on its website.

Go back to the council tax reduction page.