Advising BME communities project | CPAG

Advising BME communities

The advising black and minority ethnic (BME) communities project aim to support those working with both existing and new BME communities - including migrant workers, refugees and asylum seekers - to maximize potential income available through the benefits and tax credits system for families and individuals at the risk of poverty.

This project provides a range of training, information, a quarterly ebulletin and support for organisations and those working with BME groups. You can read past editions of our e-bulletin and sign up to receive them.

Do you work with black and minority ethnic communities in Scotland?

If you are running an event and would like us to attend or are concerned about child poverty and low take-up, and would like us to give a short talk to your organisation or voluntary support group on basic benefits and tax credits, please contact us.

Do you support or advise refugees?

Following consultation with a range of organisations working with refugees, we produced a factsheet Benefits for new refugees aimed at those who have recently been granted leave to remain. It explains the main benefits they can claim, when and where to claim benefits and what they can do if they are left without any money whilst waiting for claims to be processed.

Please feel free to print off, copy and distribute this leaflet as widely as possible. If you are distributing large numbers, please contact us and we will ask you to complete a feedback form so that we can continue to meet the needs of those who are advising BME groups.

Right to reside

CPAG is aware that right to reside and the habitual residence test is a problem area for advisers who work with people from the European Economic Area. Our factsheets provide basic guidance for advisers working with certain groups who require a right to reside when claiming some benefits. More detailed information can be found in our Welfare Benefits and Tax Credits Handbook, Benefits for Migrants Handbook and our welfare rights section. Advisers can also call or email our advice line for help with individual cases.

Links to other organisations that provide information in other languages:

As a 2nd-tier advice organisation, CPAG does not produce translated versions of our information. Unfortunately, it is also now very hard to find any other organisations providing written information about benefits in languages other than English or Welsh. However, you might find some information here:


Scottish Refugee Council

Please note that we have no control over the nature, content and availability of websites which are not under the control of CPAG and that any links should not be taken as a recommendation or endorsement of the views expressed within them.

If you do need to access translation services, some organisations may be able to help if asked and sometimes with sufficient notice. You can also ask the DWP or HMRC to provide a translator if you need one.



Right to reside – parent or carer of child in education

This factsheet contains a flowchart on the right to reside for children of EEA workers, or former workers, in education, and their primary carer.

Benefits for EEA nationals - Advanced (Scotland) 19 - 20 May 2021 ONLINE

This experienced level course looks in detail at the social security rights of EEA nationals and their family members in the UK.  It provides an opportunity...

Benefits for non-EEA nationals (Scotland) 16 - 17 November 2021 ONLINE

Advisers can find it difficult and intimidating to advise non-European nationals on how their immigration status affects entitlement to benefits and tax credits. This standard level course offers...

For further information please contact:

Henri Krishna
Tel: 0141 548 1054
[email protected]

This project is funded by the Scottish Government.