“The biggest impact for our school, as a result of being involved in the Cost of the School Day project is that it really has made us all stop and think. I cannot emphasise enough that this project is not just an initiative, it is about changing a mindset that will grow and have further impact on the decisions made in our establishment.”
- Ensuring equal access to opportunities at school and removing barriers to learning and participation.
- Minimising poverty stigma and exclusion.
- Reducing the pressure which school costs place on low income families.
- Supporting families to access financial entitlements.
- Establishing that Pupil Equity Funding is used to remove financial barriers at school.
- Do your groundwork. Set up a working group and raise Cost of the School Day awareness amongst staff.
- Gather information. Ask children and young people, staff parents and carers about costs and how they might be barriers to learning.
- Analyse your data. Look at the information you’ve gathered, decide what the main issues are and what you want to prioritise.
- Take action. Identify actions to take forward and work out a plan.
Unequal access to learning and opportunities at school means unequal outcomes for our children. It is crucial that every child is able to make the most of their school day. Let’s make that happen.