This is essential training if you are starting off as a welfare rights adviser or need a good understanding of the benefits system. It introduces you to the key resources and skills you need and takes you through the main benefits in detail.
A complimentary copy of CPAG’s Welfare Benefits and Tax Credits Handbook is provided to those attending the course.
The course covers:
• Overview of the social security system. You will learn to identify potential entitlement to a range of benefits, and practice problem solving using the Welfare Benefits and Tax Credits Handbook.
• Universal credit. You will get the skills you need to help make effective claims, work out entitlement, and advise on payments.
• Universal credit and work. You will learn how work-related requirements and sanctions operate, and be able to advise someone with a health condition or disability.
• Other working-age benefits. You will understand who gets other working-age means tested benefits and tax credits, be able to identify the allowances and premiums that apply and check basic calculations.
• Transferring to universal credit. After learning about entitlement inside and outside the universal credit system, you will get the skills you need to advise people on the transfer to universal credit from other working-age benefits and tax credits.