Short-term benefit advances
Find out more by following the links below:
- Universal Credit Advances
- STBA law and guidance
- Amounts and payment
- Who can get STBAs, how to apply and sample letter
- When will a short-term benefit advance be refused?
- Benefits eligible for short-term benefit advances
- Claiming benefits before requesting a STBA
- What is 'financial need'?
- Repaying a short-term benefit advance
- Rescheduling repayments
- Challenging decisions
- Examples of STBAs
- Solutions to common problems
- Glossary of key words and phrases
See also www.gov.uk/short-term-benefit-advance.
If you have feedback on these pages please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note: CPAG cannot give advice on STBAs to individual members of the public. Advisers can contact our advice line.
CPAG's concerns about STBAs
CPAG is concerned that the amount of cash awards of short-term benefit advances is significantly less than it was under the previous system of crisis loans for 'alignment purposes'. Some of the decrease is possibly due to the DWP simply issuing full decisions on claims when a short-term advance is requested but it is doubtful that this is the full explanation.