Universal credit for tenants in social housing
The introduction of universal credit (UC) represents a fundamental change to the system of 'legacy benefits' and tax credits it is replacing. This one day course examines the main changes, focussing on how tenants in social housing receive help with their housing costs through UC.
• the aims and principles of UC;
• the roll-out of UC in 'gateway' and 'full service' areas;
• who can claim UC and how it is calculated and paid;
• housing costs for social rent and service charges;
• direct payments to landlords;
• conditionality and sanctions;
The course is designed to enable participants to provide practical advice and assistance to tenants in social housing (e.g. council and registered housing association accommodation) as they move onto universal credit.