Overpayments of benefit
Benefit may be overpaid for many reasons and recovery often leaves people in hardship. Using practical examples, this course equips you to deal with overpayments by taking a systematic approach to checking and challenging recoverability. It also looks at the different rules and tactics that will apply with the introduction of universal credit.
The course covers:
- An overview of the necessary decision-making process before an overpayment decision can be made
- The tests of misrepresentation and failure to disclose central to overpayments of DWP benefit
- Housing benefit overpayments and the role of official error
- Universal credit overpayments
- Reducing the level of overpayments
- Overpayment appeals
- Methods of recovery
This course does not cover tax credit overpayments (see Tax credits - key issues for advisers).
"Well presented and excellent handouts."
Thursday 30 November 2017, 10:00-16:00 Glasgow, £116 Citizens Advice Bureaux, £138 voluntary organisations, £195 statutory/other organisations,Training CPD hours:5