Income maximisation for carers
Becoming a carer of a disabled person often means a drop in household income. Carers may be thinking of leaving work or trying to combine work with care.
This one-day course gives an introduction to the main benefits available for carers and explains how to maximise income through benefit checks. It will help you support clients in making decisions about what to claim in or out of work.
The course covers:
- Meeting the conditions for carer’s allowance
- Income support or universal credit - how to understand which benefit applies
- Help with housing costs
- The effect of work on benefits for carers
- Effect of devolved welfare powers and changes to carers’ benefits in Scotland
- Local authority duties to provide information and advice including income maximisation.