The controversial ‘bedroom tax’ has seen thousands of the lowest-income households lose some housing benefit and has been responsible for an alarming rise in rent arrears. This course looks at the benefit issues that the measure throws up one year on with particular reference to an update on the varied legal challenges that have emerged.
- An overview of the rules and how they were intended to operate
- Issues around residence, absence and under-occupation
- The up-to-date position on challenges based on bedroom-size and use
- Human rights challenges and judicial review
- Mitigation through discretionary housing payments