Ask CPAG Online - Universal Credit Alternative Payment Arrangements

Universal credit (UC) is normally paid monthly in arrears into a claimant's bank account.

This can sometimes cause difficulties for claimants who may struggle to manage lump sum monthly payments.

In these circumstances, the DWP can make 'alternative payment arrangements' in the form of:

  • direct payments of the UC housing costs element for rent to the claimant's landlord;

  • twice monthly payments (or exceptionally four payments per month);

  • 'split payments' to different partners in a couple.

Click on the links below for more details about alternative payment arrangements.